Creating a global open research platform to better understand social sustainability using data from a real-life smart village
In this project, a team of BU faculty will team up with Red Hat researchers and with SmartaByar, an organization specializing in Smart Villages, to create a global, open research platform where researchers can collaborate to define a link between well-being and eco-smart cities. To study social sustainability, the researchers’ platform will leverage real-life data from Veberöd, Sweden in a virtual “village”. This enables the researchers to test how different technologies might impact the real village. The unique opportunity of this collaboration is to leverage the strengths of all the cross-sector stakeholders in order to have a global open research platform where all data, findings and studies can be correlated and shared for a better understanding of what smart social sustainability means. The project team will study the available data from Veberöd (a smart village in Sweden), identify a specific use case, and generate a proof of concept from which a smart service will be ultimately developed.
Outreach and Engagement Activities
- Keynote Lecture: 14th EAI Intl. Conf. on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools. Guangzhou, China, September 2021 [remote].
- Invited Seminar: Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, October 2021 [remote].- Invited Seminar: University of California Santa Cruz, CA, October 2021 [remote].
- Invited Lecture: Interface of Data Sciences and Sustainability Series. Boston University, Boston, MA, November 2021 [remote].
- Invited Lecture: Tutorial Series on Discrete Event Systems, December 2021 [remote].
- Invited Lecture: Workshop on Control for Autonomous Cities, 60th IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control. Austin, TX, December 2021 [remote].
- Invited Seminar: Beijing Institute of Technology, Beijing, China, May 2022 [remote].
- Invited Lecture: KTH Royal Inst. of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, June 2022.
- Panel organizer, Institute for Sustainable Energy: Understanding AI’s potential for sustainability, Boston, MA, April 2022 [remote].
- Co-Guest Editor, upcoming special issue on Smart City Networks, IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems.
Principal Investigator: Christos Cassandras
Co-PIs: Vasiliki Kalavri, John Liagouris, and Mayank Varia
Red Hat Collaborators: Alexandra Machado, Jim Craig, and Christopher Tate